student budget life hacks

by - 9:15 PM

Hey lovelies!

I'm really enjoying writing about student life, I have a mini list of posts-to-write growing, and it's making me super excited!Today, we're talking about saving money and living on a student budget. Here are a few tips.

Split your money

Seriously. Whatever money I make or earn goes into a 25:75 split. 25% goes towards my savings, the other 75% is mine to do WITH as I please. Whether you have separate bank accounts - one for saving, one for everyday transaction - or you use an envelope system, be sure to grow your savings and then strictly budget everything else you plan to do for the month. It helps. 

Plan your meals

Meal planning

If you have to buy your own food, meal plan. On a Saturday or Sunday write out your grocery list for the week and the meals you plan to make with the items you buy to avoid wasting or buying excess. If possible, avoid fast food. Most of the time, buying frozen pizza is much cheaper than ordering it in, so is buying frozen chips and cooking them whenever you want fries. It's much cheaper to buy a jar of coffee than it is to stop at Seattle Co, where you pay R25+ for a cup of coffee. Doesn't sound like much? If you have daily classes, you spend R125 a week on coffee... That's basically R500 a month. 

Shop smart

Many South African retailers offer rewards or points cards. Woolworths often has 10% off offers exclusively for rewards card holders. Pick n Pay has their Smart Shopper card, where you can earn points on basically everything you buy, that translates into cash vouchers you can use at their stores. SPAR has a MyRewards card, where you get exclusive savings on everyday household products. Honestly, sign up for them all. It's worth it all.

If you're looking for an app, Snap n Save also offers a cashback voucher on products at most leading South African retailers. (If you'd like a post on how I use Snap 'n Save, comment below!)

Wakaberry, Vida e Cafe and Kauai all have apps, that work similarly to a loyalty voucher. Sign up for those, especially if you spend a lot of money at any of them.

Look your best for less

Student discounts

Many South African stores are finally jumping on the "student discounts" bandwagon, and I couldn't be happier. As far as I know, River Island, CottonOn and The Fix are stores that currently have student discounts, usually on a specific day of the week.

Shop sales

Be sure to do all your "main" shopping quarterly: most shops have "end of season" sales, with impressive discounts. I've started only buying off of the sales rack. It may seem cheapskate, but it's saved me a couple hundred rand at a time

I hope these tips were helpful to you! What's your student budget life hack? Let me know in the comments below. 

Mad love

You May Also Like


  1. Meal planning as saved me! Even if I don't meal prep, if I write down what I am going to eat all week, it is much easier for me to stay on track

    -xoxo, Azanique